AFTER LEAVING THE STUDIO
- When you leave the studio, your tattoo will be wrapped in a film – keep this on for the rest of the day (if it’s the afternoon / evening when you leave) but get it cleaned when you get home and certainly before you go to bed.
- Your tattoo artist may use Dermalize (rather than cling film) which is a semi-permanent covering that masks your tattoo for 2-4 days with no action needed, depending on their specific advice. In these cases, please follow your artist’s instructions.
- Go home, relax, get a takeaway, chill out, drink some nice vitamin-filled juices and lots of water. If you’ve had a long or full-day session, you may feel pretty drained and in need of some TLC.
Repeat this 3-4 times a day
- Wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap. Don’t ever touch your tattoo with unwashed hands. Try not to touch dirty towels, door handles, etc. once you have washed your hands.
- Run your tattoo under lukewarm water and lightly wash (no soaps). Then pat lightly with a clean towel afterwards.
- Don’t use any aftercare solution at this stage and leave your tattoo to ‘dry heal’. There is a lot to be said for keeping the tattoo dry, clean, and just not messing about with it too much.
- Re-wrap with cling film.
- Repeat this for the next 2 days, 2-3 times a day.
Cleaning Ritual (Days 2-3 Onwards)
Repeat this 2-3 times a day
- Repeat the above cleaning steps but don’t wrap your tattoo in cling film at the end and leave it to air.
- Being introduced to fresh air will now start to dry out your tattoo, so you’ll want to keep it nice and moisturised. Many tattooists have moved away from recommending Bepanthen at this point in the process, we now recommend the blue a
- Acriflex gel (blue), coco butter or hustle butter.
- Follow this cleaning process until your tattoo is healed. It may take anything from a week to two weeks for your tattoo to fully heal depending on where it is and how quickly your skin heals.
Ease up on washing it so frequently after about 3-4 days.
- Wear loose, clean clothes / shoes that don’t rub.
- Try not to let any dirt, dust or animal hair get into your tattoo.
- Try not to knock your tattoo on anything.
- Blood and ink may be left imprinted on your bedding, so you may want to lie on a darker sheet or watch how you sleep, and not wear white clothes!
- Don’t scratch, rub, pick or irritate your tattoo – don’t touch it unless cleaning.
- Don’t shave or use any other products or creams on top of your tattoo when it is healing: perfume, fake tan – ditch it! I personally don’t use scented or chemical-filled creams even on even my healed tattoos.
- No saunas, steam rooms or swimming pools.
- Keep out of the sun, while it’s healing then after use a good sun block for longevity.
- Try not to do anything that might stretch your skin (watch out when exercising).
If in doubt or if you have any questions, feel free to contact the studio.